Friday 12 October 2012

The Shot-Gun Approach to Applying for a PhD or Masters


About to start the final year of my university degree, I am beginning to panic. It is not the massive increase in work load or the dreadful prospect of finals that is getting to me, but it is the huge and terrible decision that I now have to make.
What should I do after I graduate?
I have always – perhaps there has been an occasional lapse when the idea of being a journalist flittered by – wanted to go on to postgraduate education. Partially because of the fear of entering the world of work but mostly because I really do enjoy research and I find the lab work side of things suits me well.
So that brings me to the next step. Applying to the PhDs and Masters that I want to take.
The logical step for a biochemist on a 2:1 from a reasonably decent institution would be to do a Masters degree, taught or research based, before applying for a PhD. This plan, however, makes the assumption that I either have the money or am willing to take out a (real actual) bank loan to cover one year of education that’ll cost anywhere from £5000 to over £11000 in fees alone. All that for something that may not even be necessary for me to proceed in the direction I want.
Well then, how about applying straight to PhD?
In fact, that is the approach I am taking. But there are so many PhD placements and so many of them look so good. The entry requirements do seem to vary somewhat but most are pretty similar. Here, money is less of a problem, your studies will be funded by various research councils and funding bodies.
At around £50 a pop, with CVs, personal statements and all sorts of transcripts to send off, applying for a PhD isn’t a quick job. This isn’t the sort of thing that “they” recommend doing in an offhand way. Focus on one or two and do them well, don’t just fire out CVs all over the place.
And yet, I am going to apply for all the ones I like. And at least one Masters course, almost as a backup.
Better safe than sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment